Top

Toxic waste blaze destroys new-build home

March 18, 2013

A fire which significantly damaged a partially-built house near Cullyhanna on Wednesday is believed to have been started deliberately, Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue (NIFRS) has said.

The two-storey property currently under construction on the Lake Road was well alight when firefighters arrived at the scene after receiving a call shortly after 2.30pm.

Appliances from Crossmaglen, Keady and Newtownhamilton were tasked and it took over two and a half hours to bring the situation under control.

Unconfirmed reports have suggested the source of the blaze was at the rear of the property where a number of cubes of fuel laundering waste were discovered.  It’s believed those responsible set fire to the toxic waste in a bid to destroy it, however the fire raged out of control and spread to the property.

Bottom