Top

Warning issued after toxins detected in Camlough Lake

July 29, 2013

Newry and Mourne District Council has issued an official warning to the public against swimming in Camlough Lake after high levels of toxins were detected in the water.

Sample results recently taken from the lake indicate toxin levels in the water from algae which may cause adverse health effects including skin irritations and gastro-intestinal illness.

The toxins in the water are a natural consequence of algae growth which has been accelerated due to the recent high temperatures and low rain fall.

In a statement, the Council said it will continue to sample and monitor the level of toxins in the lake but current levels indicate adverse health effects in line with World Health Organisation guidelines.

“Risks of ingestion are particularly high for children and our advice to the public is not to swim in Camlough Lake until such times as toxin levels decrease. Signs warning the public not to swim in the lake have been erected and we urge the public to comply,” it advised.

Bottom