Top

Turkey murders: Guilty verdict brings “degree of closure” for families

October 7, 2013

By Christine Keighery

The families of County Down women Marion Graham and Cathy Dinsmore have finally attained some “degree of closure” after 24 year old Recep Cetin was found guilty of their murders last week.

The two women were stabbed to death in a frenzied attack while on holiday in Turkey in August 2011.  Their bodies were found in a wood on the outskirts of the city of Izmir.

Ms Graham was stabbed 17 times in the attack and Ms Dinsmore suffered 35 stab wounds.

Recep Cetin was the boyfriend of Ms Graham’s daughter Shannon at the time of the murders.

While Shannon was on a short cruise, Cetin offered to take the two women on a shopping trip. During the journey he carried out the barbaric knife attack.

Arrested and charged shortly after the bodies were discovered, he admitted stabbing the women but denied murder.

At the outset of the prolonged 18 month trial, Cetin falsely claimed to be 17-years-old in an effort to be tried and given a lighter sentence in the juvenile court. However, subsequent bone tests established he was in his early 20s and would be tried as an adult.

The accused further delayed proceedings when he claimed to be psychiatrically ill.  Again, medical examinations showed he was not.

Four judges heard the case in an Izmir court but only three were involved in the verdict.

All three were unanimous that Recep Cetin was guilty but Eyup Cetin was acquitted by a majority of the three judges who felt there was insufficient evidence to convict him.

Recep was sentenced to life imprisonment and will not be considered for parole for 30 years.

Speaking following the verdict, the relatives of the murdered women said they had got the justice they had been hoping for and could now get on with the rest of their lives.

Shannon Graham said the murders had “ruined” her family and had torn them apart.  She added that she was “satisfied with the result” of the court case but said she missed her mother every day.

George Dinsmore, a brother of Cathy Dinsmore, said: “It’s great to get a bit of relief and closure, so we can get on with our lives now.”

Cathy’s nephew, Robert Dinsmore, described it as a “barbaric crime” adding,

“I suppose today has brought closure for both the Graham family and ourselves.”

Commenting on the long awaited verdict, Newry Sinn Féin MLA, Mickey Brady said,

“I welcome the fact that with this guilty verdict the families of Marian Graham and Cathy Dinsmore can begin to rebuild their lives following their terrible ordeal in Turkey.

“Recep Cetin ended the lives of these two vibrant and popular women in the cruellest of ways.  Marian Graham and Cathy Dinsmore were in the prime of their lives enjoying their holiday when the unthinkable happened.

“Both the Graham and Dinsmore families have shown great courage and dignity throughout the trial and they must be commended for this.  I hope that they can come to terms with what has happened and now begin to rebuild their lives.”

Bottom