Top

Family escapes injury in Newry pipe bomb explosion

February 17, 2014

A family of five narrowly escaped injury after two pipe bombs were thrown at their home in Patrician Park, Newry last Wednesday evening.

The father of three grown-up children, who lives at the house, just off the Dublin Road in the city, said his family had been left extremely shaken by the attack.

Army bomb disposal officers and police were immediately called to the estate and they cordoned off Patrician Park for about three hours while the scene was examined.

The attack was condemned by local political representatives with SDLP MLA Dominic Bradley describing it as a “senseless attack for which there is absolutely no justification.”

“It could easily have caused injury or death,” he added,

“Those behind this attack are enemies of our community and anyone with any information should contact the police immediately.”

Sinn Féin councillor for Fathom Liz Kimmins said she was “shocked” to learn of the explosion in such a built up residential part of Newry and said the outcome “could have been much worse.”

“This incident caused a lot of disruption for people in the area as the estate was cordoned off for three hours,” she said

“I can see no rationale for this attack which no doubt has caused great anxiety for the victims and all the residents of Patrician Park.”

During a follow up investigation on Thursday PSNI discovered devices of a similar nature along with ammunition in Newry’s nearby Parkhead Crescent area. Police have however ruled out any link between the discovery and Wednesday’s pipe bomb attack.

A PSNI representative said a motive for the pipe bomb had not been established and appealed for anyone with information about the incident to contact them.

Bottom