Top

Sole Kingsmill survivor doubtful of justice

February 13, 2017

The sole survivor of the Kingsmill massacre says he doubts the gunmen will ever be brought to justice.

Speaking after the Public Prosecution Service (PPS) announced its decision not to prosecute a man whose palm print was allegedly found on a suspected getaway vehicle, Alan Black expressed disappointment but accepted there is insufficient evidence to proceed.

Mr Black was shot 18 times in the attack that killed 10 of his work colleagues in January 1976, and for which no one has ever been convicted.

Reacting to the PPS’s decision, Mr Black said he had “mixed feelings”, but said the move will now clear the way for a long-delayed inquest to resume.

The stalled inquest into the killings was adjourned last year when the palm print was matched on a police database. It is now set to reconvene.

The coroner’s probe has been additionally hampered by difficulties in obtaining Garda files.

“The guards have been less than helpful, to be honest, and the police not much better, to be honest,” Mr Black said.

“We have a great legal team behind us so hopefully they will get answers.

“I have mixed feelings. I fully accept the PPS’s decision not to go forward with it, while I am disappointed no one has been held to account.  Having said that, it allows us to go ahead with the inquest and that means that we’ll get answers at the inquest.”

Expressing doubt that justice will prevail, he added: “There’s never going to be justice for Kingsmill, because there is no will to go after anyone.  I don’t really believe there will be justice but hopefully we will get some answers from the inquest.”

Bottom