Top

Boxer launches High Court action to rejoin Commonwealth Games squad

March 19, 2018

Newry boxer Conor Wallace has commenced legal action in a bid to be reinstated to the Northern Ireland squad competing in next month’s Commonwealth Games, The Examiner has learned.

Mr Wallace is seeking a High Court injunction in an attempt to reverse the decision by the NI Commonwealth Games Council (NICGC) to drop him from the team of athletes set to compete in Australia next month.

Having launched the action last week, proceedings were subsequently adjourned after lawyers for Wallace revealed alternative attempts to mediate a resolution are to be explored.

At Thursday’s hearing, the boxer’s legal representative, Ronan Lavery QC disclosed that a retired senior judge will chair a mediation/arbitration process, scheduled to take place this Wednesday.

“The difficulty in this case is that the de-selection was presented as a fait accompli,” Mr Lavery told the court.

Lawyers representing both the NI Commonweath Games Council and the Irish Athletic Boxing Association confirmed their willingness to participate in any alternative resolution hearing.

Mr Justice Maguire said he wanted to be informed ahead of the planned arbitration, if both parties will accept the outcome as binding, rather than just a prelude to ongoing litigation.

“You can’t just have a situation of going through the motions before the real battle in this court,” he said.

Bottom