Wins for Silverbridge, Killeavy, Harps and Madden

September 17, 2018

● Armagh GAA Cormac Leonard Commercials Senior Championships

Silverbridge, Killeavy, Armagh Harps and Madden will make up Pot Two in the draw for the quarter-finals of the Armagh Senior Championship following their weeekend playoff victories. The winning quartet will be pitted against Pot One opponents Crossmaglen Rangers, Ballymacnab, Maghery and St Patrick’s with repeat group pairings to be avoided if possible leaving it that Cross could not play Silverbridge or Madden as they were all in the one group and Killeavy could not face Maghery.

The quarter final draw was made with those provisos which resulted in the following pairings. Madden v Maghery, Crossmaglen Rangers v Armagh Harps, Ballymacnab v Killeavy and a local south Armagh derby to round things off St Patrick’s v Silverbridge.

Dromintee 1-14 Madden 1-15

A bit of an upset here as Madden once again championed their renowned battling qualities come knock-out time in the championship. The final scoreline makes this contest look a lot closer than it was as Dromintee’s goal came after 5 minutes of injury time. The telling score of the first half was a 13 minute goal from Conor Grimley. Very influential former Fermanagh goalkeeper Ronan Gallagher set up the goal chance with a short kick-out to his corner back and Madden worked the ball all the way downfield before netting to lead 1-2 to 0-4. Points followed the goal from Niall Grimley, Collie Mallon and Ryan Grimley. Dromintee rallied late in the half to trail by 2 at the break 1-6 to 0-7. The sides were level early in the second half before Sean Grimley edged Madden back in front and the lead was doubled following a Niall Grimley free. A brace of Conor Martin frees levelled matter 1-8 to 0-11 but 3 in a row Niall Grimley, Nialll Smyth and Liam Grimley gave Madden back control. As Dromintee closed the gap to 2 points the impressive Niall Grimley lofted a “45” between the sticks to halt the Dromintee revival with Aaron McKenna then making it 1-14 to 0-13 as 5 minutes of added time began points were traded before Dromintee’s goal came too late to alter the outcome

Silverbridge 1-11 Sarsfields 1-8

The proverbial game of two halves at the Athletic Grounds. Sarsfields hit the ground running with 5 points without reply as Eamon McGeown, Kevin Niblock, Colin Stevenson (2) and Niall Kerr found the target.

A brace of Ronan Reel free’s settled the Bridge nerves before raiding half back Aaron Duffy cut the deficit to just 2 after 16 minutes. Paul McGeown and Jarly Og traded points before a clever pass from Eamon McGeown sent Collie Stevenson free on goal and he cooly finished with aplomb 1-6 to 0-4 on 25 minutes. Joe Rock who had early in the game missed a goal chance completed the scoring with a point to leave it 1-6 to 0-5 at the short whistle. 

The second half was a total miss-match as Silverbridge dominated from the off as Paddy Reel and Rock scored early points. Stevenson stemmed the Bridge onslaught with a point but Eugene Byrne, Jarly Og replied before Jarly was hauled down for a penalty. The vastly experienced Damien McCann whose interval introduction had already influenced the game slotted home the penalty and the Bridge were ahead for the first time 1-9 to 1-7. Amazingly the Bridge allowed Sarsfields stay within touching difference as they chalked up wide after wide (20 in total). Defender Duffy once again showed his forwards how it’s done with a neat finish for the insurance point. Niall Kerr did manage a second point of the half for a run ragged Sarsfield but penalty ace McCann had the last say with a pointed free.

Pearse Og 1-7 Killeavy 3-12

A 13 man defensive wall and swift attacking at pace proved the undoing of Pearse Og by a rampant Killeavy side. The frustrated city side could find no answers to the Killeavy system and were restricted to just 4 scores in each half. After 17 minutes the emphatic Killeavy win looked miles away as the Og’s recovered from conceding 1-1 inside 4 minutes a Kyle Mallon point and a Jamie Cosgrove goal. Marc Cullen and James Freeman pointed before Cullen goaled to put them ahead followed by a Cullen free 1-3 to 1-1. Killeavy reacted brilliantly with 5 points without reply Daniel Darragh, James Donnelly, Conor O Neill and Caolan McConville (2) turned the game on its head as Killeavy led 1-6 to 1-3 at half-time.

A crackling individual second goal for Connor O’Neill followed by a McConville pointed free and a Michael Murphy point and another minor from O’Neill free put Killeavy on easy street early in the second half as they had opened up a 9 point leads. Shell shocked Og’s hit back with points from Patrick Leonard and Conor Clarke. Another brace of points from O’Neill were followed by a second for Freeman. McConville made it 2-12 to 1-7 on 57 minutes but the south Armagh side never let up finishing with a third goal to lay down with a marker for the quater finals with a 3-12 to 1-7 victory.

Intermediate Championship Play-Off Results

Grange 2-9 Shane O’Neills 0-16

Eire Og 1-6 St Peter’s 2-17

Crossmaglen Rangers 0-12 Wolfe Tones 0-16

Culloville 0-7 Mullaghbawn 0-18

Intermediate Championships Quarter final draw

Forkhill v Mullaghbawn

Shane O’Neill v Clonmore

Clan na Gael v Wolfe Tones

St Peter’s v Middleton