Top

Poisoning of pet dog a ‘senseless act of cruelty’

November 12, 2018

The owner of a pet dog who died from suspected intentional poisoning has spoken of her family’s shock and sadness at the “senseless act of cruelty” which robbed them of their much loved Jack Russell terrier, Noodles. 

The family pet fell ill on Thursday morning after coming in from playing in the garden of his Bessbrook home with his terrier brother.  Noodles was later found unresponsive in his dog house, with an extremely swollen stomach, appearing lethargic and ill. 

Owner Fiona McKeown, rushed him to a vet who confirmed that Noodles had been poisoned and gave him a 50-50 chance of survival. The stricken animal sadly passed away later that day after a great deal of suffering. Thankfully for the local family, Noodles’ terrier companion does not seem to have ingested any poison..

It is understood the adored family pet is the fourth in the area to have been killed by poisoning and concerns are high that the cruel practice may be a precursor to robbery, with would-be burglars suspected of poisoning animals who may raise the alarm to intruders.

Heartbroken owner Fiona told The Examiner words could not describe her family’s devastation at the loss of Noodles and she called on pet owners to be vigilant and aware of the threat of poisoning pets before a burglary, especially as the festive season approaches.

“No words can describe how we feel about this depraved senseless act of cruelty, we are shocked and saddened; we cannot fathom what would make someone poison a sweet inoffensive little dog,” said Fiona.

“To us, Noodles was a much loved member of our family, she was a placid, gentle little dog, who loved to be around children.

“I had the unenviable task of telling my children that their wee pet was so cruelly killed, for my youngest it was deeply upsetting as she left Noodles to her pen that morning, before settling off to school.”

Calling on all dog owners to be extra vigilant, she said her family believe the poisoning was  “premeditated”.

“There are twisted people out there, who think nothing of poisoning a dog before robbing your home or a neighbours home, ” she added. 

Sharing the news of the incident on its Facebook page, Pet Connection in Newry warned all dog owners to be alert to the dangers of intentional poisoning of pets to make way for house robberies. 

“Noodles did not bark repetitively, upsetting neighbours or causing trouble around his home,” the post began.

“Instead, Noodles would kindly bark to alert his owners only if someone approached their home. Due to this, and the fact that their other dog remains unharmed, his owners have been left in fear that their brave little dog may have been killed to make way for burglaries in the local area without a dog alerting homeowners to the presence of intruders,” said Emma from Pet Connection. 

“If you have a dog that is likely to be of ‘interest’ to burglars, whether that would be for alerting homeowners, or for the theft of the actual dog, we would highly recommend supervising them at all times when outdoors.

“Every year we hear of a spate of burglaries and pet thefts as we approach Christmas, so home security and protection of ourselves and our pets should be at the forefront of our minds.”

Bottom