Top

Boxer dropped from Commonwealth Games squad ends legal action

December 10, 2018

 A Newry boxer who was deselected from Northern Ireland’s Commonwealth Games team has dropped a legal case for damages against the Northern Ireland Commonwealth Games Council (NICGC).

Conor Wallace (22) initiated the lawsuit when he was deselected from the squad of athletes who participated in the Games, held in Australia in April.  The former Ulster light-heavyweight amateur champion, who has now turned professional and relocated to Australia, went to court in March seeking an order to be reinstated after the Council dropped him from the team that took part in the Gold Coast games.

At the time police said they were investigating a complaint against a man from the Newry area.  However Mr Wallace denies any wrongdoing and has not been arrested or questioned.  At a previous hearing his lawyer said he had been confronted by a self-styled vigilante group.

A barrister for NICGC insisted that its actions were at all times based on child protection issues and the police investigation.

“At the time of deselection, the NICGC stated that the decision was based upon the protection of all parties and was not a determination of Mr Wallace’s guilt or innocence in relation to any other matter,” the council said in a statement.

Bottom