Anger as Narrow Water memorial is damaged again

June 10, 2019

A memorial belonging to the British Legion located at Narrow Water near Warrenpoint has been attacked for the fifth time in 18 months.

Last weekend poppy wreaths and crosses were damaged on the memorial which marks the location where 18 soldiers were killed in an IRA bomb attack in August 1979.

The latest attack was reported to police on Sunday June 2nd and it is thought the memorial was targeted sometime between 4pm on Saturday and 12.30pm on Sunday.

PSNI Superintendent Jane Humphries said: “Our enquiries into this incident, which is being treated as a hate crime, are continuing and we would urge anyone who witnessed what happened, or who knows anything about this  to get in touch with police. We would also ask anyone who may have captured dashcam or helmet cam footage on the Warrenpoint dual carriageway to call police on 101, quoting reference number CCS 1099 of 02/06/18.”

Ulster Unionist councillor David Taylor condemned the latest incident of desecration of poppy wreaths and crosses placed at the memorial.

He said: “This attack is another despicable act just like the many others which have occurred at the site of the memorial dedicated to the 18 soldiers murdered by the IRA on 27th August 1979.

“I say to those who perpetrate these sickening acts, enough is enough! The families of the 18 murdered soldiers already endure enough heartache through losing their loved ones in such tragic circumstances without having their pain further compounded when incidents of this nature occur.  I appeal for all political representatives and community leaders to do everything in their power to ensure that these attacks stop once and for all.”

South Down Sinn Fein MLA, Sinead Ennis, also condemned the attack, saying: “There is no place for attacks like in our society and I condemn this act outright.

“Monuments and memorials are important places in communities and should be respected.  I would encourage anyone with information on this incident to contact the PSNI.”

Earlier this year a 44-year-old lorry driver from Craigavon was jailed for six months after he was captured on CCTV vandalizing the monument.