Narrow escape as young family flees house fire

November 17, 2009

By Brónagh Murphy

A Crossmaglen family had a narrow escape when they awoke in the early hours of Tuesday morning to find their home on fire.

Tony and Eimear McEntee’s Dundalk Road home was extensively damaged in the blaze.

Tony explained how his wife was alerted to the fire when she heard ‘crackling’ on a baby monitor which was in their one-year-old son’s bedroom.  Upon investigating the noise, the couple were met with smoke coming from the infant’s bedroom.

“There was quite a lot of smoke so we just got out as quick as we could and the fire brigade came,” Tony said.

Firefighters tackled the blaze for more than two hours and had to request back-up and extra water as flames engulfed the upstairs of the property.

Tony praised the response and work of the Crossmaglen Fire  & Rescue Service, particularly Fireman Collie Stuttard, who had the role of personnel leader at the incident.

“The firemen were more than helpful and were a great support to us.  Their response was magnificent and we are very appreciative of the help and support we received from them,” he said.

The cause of the fire has yet to be determined but the McEntee family are just thankful that they were able to escape unscathed.

“Everybody was fine.  The child was checked out just as a precaution but he is fine.  That’s the main thing that we all got out OK.”