Kingsmills’ suspects to be questioned by HET

August 31, 2010

By Brónagh Murphy

Suspects linked to the killing of ten Protestant workmen at Kingsmills, Whitecross in January 1976 are to be questioned by members of the Historical Enquiries Team (HET), victims’ campaigner Willie Frazer has said.

At the behest of Mr Frazer, representatives of the HET recently met with relatives of some of those who were killed in the Kingmills Massacre.  The meeting took place in Newtownhamilton earlier this month.

In the last number of months the HET has met with families of some of those murdered in south Armagh during the Troubles, most notably those of the Reavey brothers and schoolgirl Majella O’Hare.

The team’s findings on the Reavey murders have been published and its final report on the killing of Majella O’Hare is expected within weeks.

The HET has confirmed it is currently investigating the murders of the ten Protestant workmen in what became known as the Kingsmill Massacre.

The men were returning from work in Glenanne when their minibus was ambushed at Kingsmill, just outside Whitecross.  The only Catholic on the bus was ordered to leave and the remaining eleven men on the bus were shot.  One man, Alan Black, survived despite being shot several times.  The killings occurred on January 5th 1976, the day after the Reavey murders.

FAIR spokesperson, Willie Frazer, says the HET team spent two hours meeting with relatives of the Kingsmills’ victims who were able to raise a number of questions surrounding the murders.

Mr Frazer said that during the meeting it was ‘clearly established’ that the attack was not in revenge for the Reavey murders and required significant advanced planning, and also that the weapons used had been ballistically linked to at least 35 other murders.

Families have been assured that the HET will question suspects about the attack, Mr Frazer said.

A spokesman for HET said: “We are currently investigating the Kingsmills’ murders and had a meeting with some of the families on Wednesday, August 18.  Inquiries are continuing.”