Top

Daughter of murder victim gives evidence in Turkish Court

June 26, 2012

By Christine Keighery

Shannon Graham, the daughter of murder victim, Marion Graham, gave evidence at the pre-trial hearing of Eyup Cetin, last week.  His son, Recep Cetin, who is also charged with the murders, was expected to appear at the hearing, but an “administrative error” was blamed for his absence.

Marion Graham and best friend, Cathy Dinsmore, were stabbed to death in a frenzied attack in a wood near the city of Izmir in August 2011.

Recep Cetin, the former boyfriend of Shannon Graham, was initially charged with carrying out the murders alone, until new DNA evidence placed his fifty two year old father at the scene, confirming suspicions that Recep had an accomplice in the violent murders.

Now being tried in an adult court after bone marrow tests revealed his true age to be twenty two, and not seventeen, as he had previously claimed, Recep has admitted to the murders but claims he acted in self defence following an attack by the two women.

Shannon, who was on a boat trip at the time of the killings, spoke through a translator at last Wednesday’s hearing and told the court there was no violence between her mother and Recep Cetin, and that they were good friends.

She also revealed that Eyup Cetin did know both her mother and Cathy Dinsmore, contrary to his initial statements, where he denied knowing the pair.

The court heard that she and Recep had never discussed or thought about getting married, and that he wanted her to live in turkey but she was not happy with that.

Miss Graham added that her mother had decided not to return to Turkey for their next holiday.

Wednesday’s hearing lasted two and a half hours, before it was adjourned until trial begins in September.

Shannon is among the group of relatives who made the emotional journey  back to Turkey for the hearing.

After a difficult and draining morning, five of the family members managed to gather their strength to give a news conference, where they spoke of the effects of the “barbaric act” which had robbed them of their loved ones and called for the longest possible sentence.

Following Wednesday’s hearing, the families’ lawyer Baris Kaska said he now thought there was a realistic chance the case could be finished by the end of this year.

Bottom