Armagh GAA Round-Up

September 12, 2012

Senior Championship

Impressive Ogs do all the harm in first half against ‘Nab

Pearse Og’s 2-14 Ballymacnab 0-8

Pearse Og’s did all the harm in a first half 18 minute spell when they scored 1-7 without reply to kick off the ‘Nab Challenge, as they raced into a 1-10 to 0-3 lead.

Conor Clarke, with a brace gave Ogs the lead but a double from Tony Grogan levelled things.  Marc Cullen edged the city side ahead before a third from Grogan restored parity at 3-3.

Sean Clarke, Chris Rafferty, Conor Clarke, Andy Mallon, Tommy Tierney and Marc Cullen (2) pointed for the Ogs before the Ogs  combined with the two Clarkes finding Andy Mallon who placed Cullen for one on one and he made no mistake with the games opening goal on 29 minutes.

Cullen broke the ‘Nab deadlock with a point but Sean Moore closed the half with a point to make it 1-11 to 0-4 at half time.

Marc Cullen opened the second half scoring with a point before the ‘Nab enjoyed their best spell with three points on the trot.  Grugan, Padraig Gribben, Paul Kennedy, to leave it 1-12 to 0-7 on 45 minutes.  Five minutes later the ‘Nab were reduced numerically following a second yellow for Philip McCone and the game was even as a contest.  A moment later Sean Moore goaled following good work by David Turley.

Grugan replied to the green flag with a point.  Paul Turley/Sean Clarke added the final points as the losers lost Pauric Crilly to a second yellow.

Impressive Ogs will face St Pat’s for a place in the final.

Game of two halves for ‘Cruppen and Sarsfields

Carrickcruppen 0-14 Sarsfields 1-11

This was literally the game of two halves with Carrickcruppen dominating the opening half, opening up a six point lead at one stage but needed two injury time points late in the game to live to fight another day.

Stephen Harold and Declan Carville forged ‘Cruppen two ahead before Eamon McGeown replied for Sarsfields.  Conor Sloan and McGeown swapped frees before Harold made it double scores 4-2 on the quarter hour.  Paul Keenen increased the lead before a McGeown free reduced the deficit.

‘Cruppen hit three unanswered points through Keenan, James Hughes and Carville to leave it 0-8 to 0-3 at the first whistle.

On the restart ‘Cruppen started the way they had ended off the half as Carville disected the points.  Sarsfields then introduced Michael Stevenson and he changed the game big time, pointing another a minute into his introduction.  McGeown, from a free, Eimeid Murray play made it 1-6.  An excellent five man move ended up with Stevenson rattling the back of the ‘Cruppen net to level matters.

Sarsfields were on a roll and that man Stevenson fired them ahead for the first time with a point from play.  Brian Lavery stretched the lead to two points.  A Carville free interrupted an unanswered 1-5 from Sarsfields to leave it a one point game.

Eamon McGeown from a free restored the two point advantage before keeper Darragh McKeown made a fantastic triple save to deny a certain goal.  Paul McGaughey stretched the lead to three before Carville replied with a free with four minutes left on the clock.  Harold left the minimum in it with a minute to go.  Stevenson looked to have won it for Sarsfields as he doublted the lead 0-12 to 1-11 as added time was entered.

Paul Keenan came to the rescue as he fetched two great balls pointing the first one before setting up Mark Rice for a very late leveller causing both the sides to fight it out another day to see who will take on triple champions Cross in the semi-final. Intermediate Football Championship


Form usually goes out the window when it comes to a local derby especially when it is for a place in the county final. Killeavy have been strong favourites for the Intermediate Championship from the outset but have not been overly impressive in their wins over Middletown and St Paul’s. In both of those Championship wins Killeavy did the business in the first half racing into comfortable leads which they held on to in the second half in which their scoring ratio dropped dramatically to less than a handful in both games.

Mullaghbawn were very fortunate to survive the first day against Madden with a last kick free from Kieran Grant blasted to the roof of the net past a dozen defenders earning them a replay. The next day out it was a different story with Mullaghbawn the bosses all the way firing over 17 points in the process as they booked their semi-final spot. Mullaghbawn will be able to call on the services of the back from suspension Eamon Quinn and the returned from holiday Eugene McVerry (provided he is injury free) for the Killeavy game which will certainly be a boost as they try to follow up their 1992 success in this competition.

O’Hanlon and McDonnell have not sparkled to date in the Championship but these proven big game players will certainly be up for this one. A classic encounter is envisaged with Killeavy’s better all round balance to see them through to the final last won by them in 1986.


Impressive wins over Shane O Neill’s and Silverbridge will have a young eager St Peter’s side all the rage to reach the final. Opponents Wolfe Tone turned round their season by beating Grange in the quarter final. Wolfe Tones had a dreadful League campaign up to their Championship match where they produced their best performance of the season. This encounter will be a lot closer than people expect as the Tones have the bit between their teeth and determined to cause another upset result. Discipline could be the key for a Peter’s victory as they will get nothing easy from their opponents but have enough firepower to prevail if they can keep their cool under pressure. junior football championship semi-final

Port Mor 1-15  Forkhill 0-9

An Port Mor took full advantage of a poor performance from favourites Forkhill to reach the Junior final with a bit to spare 1-15 to 0-9. The game was nip and tuck until a speculative effort from Christopher Lennon ended up in the back of the Forkhill net with keeper error written all over it. The south Armagh heads dropped as the Blackwatertown men were on a roll. The full forward line trio of Lennon (1-2), Shane Nugent (0-4) Gary Traynor (0-1) did a lot of the damage to their opponents aspirations and with free taker David Curran (0-5) in sparkling form scores from play at the other end were scarce on the ground for Forkhill with the bulk of their scores coming from placed balls.

An Port Mor- Gerard Kelly, Neil Traynor, Finton Daly, Brendan Nugent, Philip Casey, Ciaran McKenna, Gary McCrilly, Colin Holmes, Mark Curran (0-1), Michael McCrory (0-2), David Curran (0-5), James McLaughlin, Shane Nugent (0-4), Gary Traynor (0-1), Christopher Lennon (1-2). Subs Used John McBride and Michael Casey.