Newspaper for Crossmaglen, South Armagh, Newry and Down.

Kilcoo meet Maghery in semi-final

Ulster Club SFC

Down and Armagh champions Kilcoo and Maghery will battle it out on Nov 13 for a place in the Ulster following their respective quarter final victories over Glenswilly 1-12 to 1-06 and Ramor United 1-13 to 1-10.

There can be defining moments in some games and this one arrived at Pairc Esler in the –minute as a high challenge on Conor Laverty not alone gave Kilcoo a penalty but it also saw Glenswilly’s Cathal Gallagher red carded. Minutes before the penalty incident a fisted Michael Murphy pass sent Gallagher in for a one on one with the goalkeeper but his blazed wide and had his misery compounded moments later. Darragh O Hanlon slotted home the penalty which gave the Down champions a lead that was never relinquished as the Donegal challenge faded as they failed to trouble the scorboard for the remainder of the match.

Points from Conor Laverty, Donal Kane, Paul Devlin and one from goalkeeper Niall Kane followed after the converted penalty as Kilcoo followed up their preliminary round 1-8 to 0-9 win over Scotstown by claiming a second prize scalp as they seek a first Ulster title.

The dreams of an Ulster title looked off the mark in a mixed opening half which saw an explosive home start end up in a point deficit 1-4 to 0-6 having led 5-2 after 20 minutes. Pointed frees from Darragh O’Hanlon and Paul Devlin put Kilco in front before Brian Farrelly opened the visitors account. Eugene Branagan split a brace of Ryan Johnson white flags as Kilcoo dominated against a frustrated visiting side. A Gary McFadden free followed by an Oisin Crawford score doubled the visitors total before they then took a shock lead. Brian Farrelly was fouled in the square and Murphy dispatched the spot kick to the net for a 2 point lead. A Paul Devlin point had the deficit to the minimum at half-time.

Police out-riders lead the ambulance carrying Kilcoo's Darragh O'Hanlon to hospital after he was injured in the final moments of his side's victory over Donegal's Glenswilly in Pairc Esler on Sunday.

A fisted Ryan Johnson equalising point opened the second half scoring but Glenswilly responded in style as Murphy and Crawford gave them the lead before the Gallagher moments completely changed the course of the game. A late serious looking injury to Darragh O’Hanlon spoiled a good day for the Magpies who will like nothing better than to pick the pockets of the Armagh champions to reach the final.

Maghery are the only club flying the Armagh flag as Intermediate champions Whitecross and Junior champions Clonmore were both beaten. Whitecross were in Derry where they saw a 5 point half-time lead 2-8 to 1-6 wiped out as they lost their way and bowed out to St Malachy’s, Castledawson at Owenbeg 2-14 to 2-10. Clonmore were no match for Monaghan champions Blackhill who emerged 11 point winners 0-19 to 0-8.