Newspaper for Crossmaglen, South Armagh, Newry and Down.

Kilcoo Minors turned in a solid second half performance

Four all at half-time with Burren playing slightly the more attractive football, Kilcoo turned in a solid second half performance to run out convincing victors long before Anthony Morgan’s superb fifty-fifth minute goal.

The teams were level on four occasions in that first half with some of the Burren build-up play exciting, the ball moving fast through the hands and Kilcoo prepared to sit back and hit them on the counter. 

Kilcoo’s restarts from those Burren scores were excellent with Adam Curran giving an exhibition of kicking out, finding his man 100% of the time with a range of restarts.

Some ten minutes had elapsed before the first point of the day, from Jason Morgan put Kilcoo in front and started a short flurry of scores with Conor Murphy replying only for a close in Justin Clarke free to restore Kilcoo’s advantage.

Back to back points in the nineteenth and twenty fifth minutes from James McCann and Niall Toner (free) put Burren ahead for the first time but it was short lived with Jason Morgan equalising though Niall Toner scored the point of the half in response before Justin Clarke collected a short free and clipped over for four all.

Kilcoo drove Burren back on the restart with points from Anthony Morgan, Shealan Johnston and MacDarragh Hynes opening a significant gap. Already Burren needed a goal to keep in touch but a great through ball failed to reach Niall Toner, intercepted at full stretch by Rowan Tumilty in the Kilcoo defence. They had to settle for a Danny Magill point, quickly matched by a Justin Clarke free as the game entered the final quarter.

Burren made a quadruple substitution to try and shake some life into their play, but it was Kilcoo who pressed on with Luke Clarke only denied by a despairing block and Jamie McKee landing the resultant forty-five.

Danny Magill, Burren’s only second half scorer, pointed a second time but within minutes the ball nestled in the Burren net following a great move involving Sean Og McCusker and Jamie McKee and finished by centre-back Anthony Morgan who powered through a couple of challenges and gave Matthew Sherry in the Burren nets no chance.

Three minutes from time Kilcoo had Niall Doyle Red Carded but finished with the point of the day from Sean Og McCusker before a Danny Magill free brought the scoring to a close.

Burren: Matthew Sherry, Ryan Magill, Rian Kelly, Patrick McCarthy, Ed Magee, Tony Magee, Ciaran Bradley, Eoin McKernan, Aaron Murdock, Odhran Murdock, James McCann 0-1, Zach Murdock, Niall Toner 0-2 (1f), Conor Murphy 0-1, Danny Magill 0-3 (1f).

Subs: James Duggan, James Kelly, Aaron Cole, Eoin Loughran, Conlin Bradley, Harry Price 

Kilcoo: Adam Curran, Callum Rogers, Tiernan Fettes, Callum Madine, Luke Clarke, Anthony Morgan 1-1, MacDarragh Hynes 0-1, Niall Doyle, Justin Clarke 0-3 (2f), Jason Morgan 0-2, Shealan Johnston 0-1, Jack Devlin, Ronan Tumilty, Sean Og McCusker 0-1, Jamie McKee 0-1 (45).

Subs: Cormac O’Reilly, Tomas Fettes.