Newspaper for Crossmaglen, South Armagh, Newry and Down.

Police attacked with paint bombs during machete attack arrests

Police investigating a machete attack which took place in the Talbot Street area of Newry on Tuesday morning, came under attack as they arrested two teenagers in connection with the incident – which left a 17 year old man requiring hospital treatment for facial injuries and deep lacerations to his arms and legs. It is believed an armed gang, wielding machetes, forced their way into the property in the early hours of Tuesday morning before attacking the teenage occupant.

Two men, aged 17 and 18 were subsequently arrested during a significant police operation in the Church Street area of Newry around midnight on Tuesday, involving a number of armoured vehicles and a search of nearby gorse land and houses, with the added assistance of the PSNI Helicopter.

During the operation police found themselves under attack from youths who gathered in the grounds of St. Patrick’s Church of Ireland cemetery, lobbing missiles and paint bombs at officers and armoured jeeps.  Police have declined to comment on the paint bombing incident or confirm if any of the offending youths were arrested. 

Meanwhile, an 18 year old arrested in connection with the machete attack has been remanded in custody to appear before Newry Magistrate’s Court on 4th July.  Jamie Lutton, with an address of Canal Street, Newry appeared in the dock of Banbridge Court residing in Newry Courthouse on Thursday morning.   Dressed in grey tee-shirt and jeans, he spoke only to confirm his name and date of birth (10/12/99).  The teenager is charged with grevous bodily harm with intent, possession of an offensive weapon, namely a machete, threats to kill, aggravated burglary in connection with the theft of a TV and £400 to the value of £1,300, as well as a criminal damage charge for damaging the front door of the Talbot Street property. A PSNI Detective Constable told the court she could connect the defendant to the charges. 

With no bail application made due to the lack of a suitable address for the defendant, District Judge Paul Copeland remanded the eighteen year old in custody until next month’s hearing, reminding him that he faced “very serious charges.”